Monday, January 5, 2015

Make Your Resolutions a Reality

Have you ever kept one of your New Year’s resolutions? I don't think I ever have. It has gotten to the point that we either make resolutions that we know we will break or just don’t bother making them at all. I don't know which one is worse.

For most of my adult life I have made the same New Year’s resolution. Each year I vow to drink more water. It usually lasts about 10 days and then it's forgotten for the rest of the year. You see, the problem is not setting the goal, the problem is being disciplined enough to achieve the goal.

I recently read an article in TIME magazine called “How to Motivate Yourself: 3 Easy Steps Backed by Science” by Eric Baker. This article outlines the following 3 strategies to help you achieve your goals after you set them.

1. Get Positive

Studies show that happy people are more successful, but in turn, being successful in reaching your goals will make you happier. It's a big cycle and a win-win situation. More importantly, having a positive attitude as you approach your goals is essential. If you don't believe that you will be successful then you most definitely won't be. Staying positive is hard to do, especially if you have tried to accomplish a goal and failed before.

The best way to be optimistic about your progress is to celebrate your progress along the way. To do this, you need to first set measurable goals so that you can monitor your progress. Celebrate every pound shed, inch lost, or weight lifted.

However, you are human, and sometimes you may stray from your goals. Don’t let a few days of slip ups cause you to forget your long-term goals. This is the biggest problem with New Year’s resolutions. Its very easy to forget the resolution if you mess up a few times. Don't drop the resolution if you have strayed. Start each day with a clean slate. Don't let what happened yesterday distract you from continuing to pursue your goals today.

Every step in the right direction is important and as you celebrate your progress, it will  be easier for you to retain a positive outlook.

2. Get Rewarded

When I really want my children to do something, I bribe them. It's probably not the best parenting strategy, but it works. Isn't that what “allowance” is all about? Do your chores and I'll give you $5. It's simple positive reinforcement.

If you are doing something for yourself, why not bribe yourself. Give yourself a reward for doing things that will help you achieve your goals.

I had a friend who used to put a dollar in a jar every time she went to the gym and when she reached $100 she would reward herself by booking a massage. She didn't really miss the dollar 4-5 times a week, but she appreciated the massage every few months.

The TIME article (mentioned above) suggests giving a friend $100 when you set the goal and instructing him to return the money when the goal is accomplished.  The idea is that you will work hard to get that money back. Either way, work out some reward system for yourself so you have something to look forward to as you accomplish your goals.

3. Get peer pressure

If you surround yourself with people who are doing what you want to be doing, it's much easier to get things done.

For example, losing weight is much easier to do if the people you associate with work out and eat healthy. When I decided to change the way I ate, I was lucky that my husband was supportive. He didn't mind the dinners with grilled chicken and vegetables instead of fried chicken and pasta. You see, he wanted to lose weight too but wasn't ready to take on the burden of preparing healthy meals. Since I was already preparing healthy meals, it was much easier for him to sacrifice the unhealthy foods. When I started going to the gym, he started working out too. The end result was both of us became healthier and achieved our weight loss goals.

I have similar relationships with supportive friends at the gym. We talk to each other by phone, text, and Facebook to find out what time we will go work out. Training together helps us all stay positive and holds us accountable for missed training sessions.

So what can you do to ensure that you are getting positive peer pressure? Find a friend who has similar goals.

Do you want to go to the gym more? Find a friend who does too and use peer pressure to motivate each other. Text or call that person every day and ask them if they went to the gym that day or how their workout went. Even better, try to join the same gym and work out together.

Find a friend at work who also wants to lose weight. Plan out your lunch menus together. Maybe switch off days preparing that lunch so that it’s a little easier for both of you. Exchange healthy recipes. Go food shopping together after work. Organize a "Biggest Loser" weight loss competition in your office. Have everyone put in $5 as a prize for the winner.

Sometimes peer pressure can be a good thing too.


This is where you come in…

Now that we have reviewed some strategies for success, are you ready to take on the challenge of your resolution? I know I am.  I am going to revisit my goal of drinking more water. I hope to drink at least 2 liters of water each day. I know it's good for my skin and digestion and that it will keep me from drinking other high calorie drinks or drinks with artificial sweeteners.

In addition to the strategies outlined here, I've learned a few things about discipline in the last few years. I'm hoping this time I'll be successful. I'll stay positive and construct a reward system for myself, but I need you to provide the peer pressure. I am making this goal public because I am welcoming your peer pressure. Please feel free to ask me about my progress.

Would anyone like to join me?


No comments:

Post a Comment