Tuesday, March 24, 2015

I Love Beets!

I never used to eat beets. As a kid, I only tried pickled beets and that didn't do it for me. I never tried them again, until last year when my husband asked me to make beets for him. I went to the store and bought yellow beets, roasted them, and tried again. I was hooked.  I'll say it loud and proud, I LOVE BEETS!

Beets are sweet and delicious and a great add on to any salad or side dish for any meal, hot or cold. They are colorful and jazz up the presentation of any plate. However, in addition to their appeal both in taste and visually, beets have nutritional qualities that make them a wonderful addition to anyone's diet.

Why eat beets?

Aside from being delicious, recently, the chenopod family of plants, including beets, chard, spinach and quinoa, has shown an increasing number of health benefits not readily available from other food families. Beets are a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains, that have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support. The antioxidant properties may have an anticancer effect and the anti-inflammatory properties may promote cardiac health.  Beets are an excellent source of folate and a good source of potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and iron.  Although you can see these betalain pigments in other foods (like the stems of chard or rhubarb), the high concentration of betalains in the flesh of beets provides a great source of the compounds that promote these health benefits.

Okay, I'll go buy some beets. But what do I do with them?

Go to the store and buy fresh beets, they really are very easy to make. Beets can be purchased either with or without the greens.   I prefer buying them with the greens, because I think they are fresher, and because you can make a second side dish out of the greens. If you enjoy sautéed spinach or Swiss chard, I encourage you to try the beet greens. You can sautée them with garlic and add mushrooms or you can simply boil them for a minute or two.  They are very good.

I have only ever prepared my beets 2 ways. Usually, I stick with the simple roasted beets.

Roasted Beets
1. Cut off the top and bottom of the beet and rinse well
2. Wrap the beets individually with aluminum foil and place them in a baking dish
3. Roast at 400 for an hour
4. The skin will peel of easily after the beets are roasted.

In my research for this article, I learned that the betalains are sensitive to heat and begin to breakdown with lengthy cooking. The next time I make beets I am going to try the 15 minute steam recipe.

15 Minute Steamed Beets
1. Cut off the top and bottom of the beets, rinse well, and cut into quarters
2. Place a small amount of water at the bottom of a pan and bring to a boil
3. Steam the beets for 15 minutes
4. Allow the beets to cool and the skin will come off easily
5. Toss beets with lemon juice, olive oil, and herbs.

Beets can also be consumed raw. They can be grated directly into a salad and are a great addition to slaws. Over the summer, I made a great carrot and beet slaw. I found the following recipe on the Spartan recipe website.

Carrot and Beet Slaw
Ingredients
2 medium beets
1 large carrot
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions
1. Peel beets and carrot.
2. Coarsely grate beets and carrot into bowl (i used the grating attachment on my foor processor).
3. Pour olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper onto grated beets and carrot.
4. Mix thoroughly; serve, and enjoy!

So if your only experience with beets was out of a can or a jar, I encourage you to try again. You may be surprised.

If you are a seasoned beet eater, please share your favorite beet recipes here. I'd love to expand my beet repertoire.


No comments:

Post a Comment