Monday, September 14, 2015

Lose Fear, Choose Opportunity

This summer, I have been on a journey, physically, mentally, and emotionally. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, after completing the Spartan Sprint (3-5 mile obstacle course race) in June, I was convinced to sign up for the Spartan Super (8-10 mile obstacle course race) by a couple of friends. In the process of training, I was further convinced to sign up for the Spartan Beast (13+ mile obstacle course race) so that we can complete what is known as the Spartan Trifecta. 

The fact that I even signed up for these races shocked me. I never thought I would do anything more than the sprint. But apparently I was the only one who was shocked by it. I asked my coach when he knew I'd try for the trifecta, he said June 2014, right after my first sprint. That was more than a year before I signed up for these races. Truth is, I was so scared of that first race that I cried at work the day before the race three times. 

Why was I so scared? Thousands of people complete these races almost every weekend. They may not all win.  They may not be in incredible shape.  It may take them a long time to complete the course. But they finish. So why was I so scared?

As with most things, people are fearful when they are not confident in the outcome of the situation. I was not confident that I could do it and so I was scared. 

So in June 2014, I finished my first Spartan race. It was 4.5 miles and it was so much fun. It took almost 3 hours for me to complete, but I was so proud of what I was able to do. I couldn't wait for June 2015 to come around so that I could do it again. This year, no tears, no fear, just excitement. What was the difference? Confidence. 

Confidence is a powerful thing. 

Everyday people give up opportunities to grow because they lack confidence.  Maybe you didn't speak up when you had an idea at work. Or you didn't answer a question in class. Or you didn't go talk to the girl that you have noticed every Monday during lunch for the last 3 months. 

Think about who gets the promotion at work, or who tends to get a date with that girl. Is it the person who sits quietly or the person who walks into a room with confidence that everyone notices? 

Some people are naturally confident, but most of us aren't. 

That first Spartan sprint gave me the confidence to sign up for another one the following year.  That second race gave me the confidence to sign up for Spartan Super. But I didn't do it on my own. I'm fortunate enough to have coaches and friends that have supported me all along the way. Every time I lost that confidence, someone was there to build me back up. 

Lack of confidence in a major reason why people who want to lose weight don't go to the gym. If you walk into the gym and feel like you don't know what you are doing or that you can't complete the workout, or if you walk into a gym and feel intimidated by others, it makes you not want to even bother going back.

Why? What are we afraid of?

That you will make a fool of yourself?
Is that something to be afraid of?
What can you do to help your build your confidence?
Go with a friend.
Hire a trainer.
Build a support team. 

When I signed up,for the Spartan Super and then the Spartan Beast, just the idea of these races scared me, but I made a decision this summer to lose fear and choose opportunity. I knew I had a great team and supportive friends. So I spoke to my coach about training. And worked hard all summer. 

This summer I committed myself to the opportunity to complete the Spartan trifecta. I had a great time running the Sprint (just under 5 miles and about 21 obstacles) in June. This past weekend I completed the Super in New Jersey. It was about 9 miles and 27 obstacles and not something I thought I could have or would have done a year ago. I need to thank all the people who helped build my confidence when I didn't think I could have done this. 

There is one piece of the puzzle left. This weekend I will be going to Vermont to run the Spartan Beast. This race will be over 15 miles and more than 30 obstacles. I'm scared and my confidence is wavering from minute to minute, but I know I have done everything I could possibly do to prepare for the Beast. I also know that my team, friends, and coaches are there to build me up. I worked hard all summer for this opportunity. 

This summer I chose opportunity over fear, and it's been the best summer of my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment